A car accident can be a traumatic experience, but you should remember a few things to do. Call the police and file a report. The police will gather important evidence and collect data at the scene. Seek medical care as soon as possible. Take photos of the crash scene if you are able. Keep copies of all your medical bills and other expenses. Contact a car accident lawyer in Calabasas to discuss the details of your case. Your case may be one that will benefit from legal help.
How Much Does a Car Accident Attorney Cost?
In many instances, a car accident attorney will handle your case on contingency. That means that you will not have to pay the lawyer upfront for most legal services. Instead, your attorney will accept payment following the resolution or settlement of your case, and you will be able to pay him from the proceeds.
What if I am Partly to Blame for the Accident?
California utilizes the comparative fault law that allows you to get money even if you are partly to blame for the accident. Each party will have a portion of fault. If you are partly to blame, your payment will be reduced accordingly. For example, if you are 25 percent at fault and the other driver is 75% at fault, you will be able to collect up to 75% of your damages. You may collect damages as long as you are not more than 50 percent responsible for the crash.
How Much is My Car Accident Case Worth?
All accidents are different, and the compensation you may receive depends on many factors. There are several types of compensation for car accidents, including medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and punitive damages. Generally, the court may assess punitive damages in cases where the driver’s negligence was extreme. You must provide proof of your injuries and your damages. Your car accident lawyer in Calabasas will evaluate your case to determine the potential of your claim.
Should I Accept A Settlement Offer?
Many times, the insurance company quickly contacts the victim to offer a settlement. It is best not to accept payment because, in many instances, it may not be enough to cover your medical and other expenses. Importantly, once you cash a settlement check, you likely give up your right to seek further payment through legal action. Before you accept a settlement, talk to a skilled car accident lawyer in Calabasas.
When Should I Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Calabasas?
Following a serious car crash, you need to focus on your recovery. While you are healing, your car accident attorney will immediately begin to work on your case. Your lawyer will gather information, talk to witnesses, review the police report, and obtain medical records. The sooner you get help from a car accident lawyer in Calabasas, the better outcome you can often expect. If you got hurt in a car accident, we could help. Contact Flahavan Law for a free consultation: (805) 230-9973.Car Accident Lawyer Calabasas