Whether it’s due to cell phone use, following at an unsafe distance, or just not paying attention, car accidents occur all the time in Los Angeles and Ventura County. However, very few people know what to do when they are involved in one.
Here are some steps you should try to take if possible:
1. Self-Assessment: Determine whether you have any injuries.
2. Check on all Passengers: Anyone with head/neck pain should not move.
3. Call the Police: Especially if there is a lot of property damage or anyone is injured.
4. Exchange Information: Names, Numbers, Addresses, Insurance Info, License Plate #, Driver’s License #
5. Take Photo’s of Property Damage: Important to show the damage that was caused by the accident.
6. Talk to Witnesses: If police write a report they should include witnesses. You may also want to ask locals if accidents have happened at this particular place before. Obtain names, numbers, addresses, statements.
7. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION ASAP: Probably the most important step. Even if you do not think your injuries are severe, you should get examined immediately. Many injuries are not felt immediately following an accident. Emergency room or primary care physician ASAP. X-Rays and full check up.
8. Inform Your Insurance Company:
9. Journal Your Medical Treatment and Injuries: via Good Record Keeping and Use of a Journal:
10. Get a Property Damage Valuation:
11. Be Careful Who You Talk To!: It is never a good idea to speak to a representative of the other driver’s insurance company. Although they seem nice and helpful, their job is to pay you the least amount possible for your injuries.
12. Be Extremely Cautious of Settlement Offers:
Consider Hiring an Experienced Flahavan Law Office Accident Attorney